Naheed delivers in-service training for infant staff as well as school workshops for five to eight year olds.
Her sessions are flexible in time and are developed in conjunction with curriculum needs and those of the individual school.
Workshops include the following activities:
- singing games and activities
- using musical instruments
- simple movement to music
- live performance
Sessions are always energetic and inclusive, and are carefully planned using age-appropriate material. Children will be introduced to a wide range of concepts within their musical play sessions, building musical and communication skills at the same time as enhancing their social and emotional wellbeing.
Naheed has taught whole classes of children on a weekly basis over a two year period as well short topic based projects. Workshops can be combined with an In-service session for staff.
The incorporation of musical games and rhymes into P1-3 teaching provides an invaluable opportunity for teachers to cover new curriculum links.
Singing and participating in music activities develops:
- self esteem
- performance skills
From a child’s perspective:
- Playing musical games is fun. But they are constantly learning different skills – many unconsciously.
- The enthusiasm to sing comes naturally when something is enjoyable
- A complicated musical game provides stimulation for the individual, who thrive on challenge and their determination to succeed allows self-confidence to flourish
- Creating music collectively and singing together provides a wonderful opportunity for children to listen and learn from each other.
- It is the group dynamic and performance that matters – every child’s voice can be heard
- Songs provide a wonderful tool for teaching all manner of topics:
- Scottish songs
- Songs from around the world
- Environmental issues
- Communication is vital when working in a musical team
- Listening skills are developed and enhanced
- Children work as a team and in small groups, solving tasks and taking the lead
- Creativity is at the heart of all music making
Please click here to contact Naheed if you would like to discuss ideas for a short, or longer Primary phase project.